Who We Are
Covenant Christian Church is an open and welcoming congregation of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a mainline Protestant denomination.
Covenant Christian Church is a progressive church, affiliated with other congregations in the Triangle through progressivechurches.org.
What We Believe
- We believe in following Jesus Christ’s example of accepting all people into a warm and caring faith community.
- We believe our spiritual journey will lead us to a deeper understanding of God’s purpose for our lives.
- We believe outreach and service to others in our congregation, local community, region, and the world is an essential response to God’s love and care for each of us.
Our Statement of Calling
We celebrate God’s love by offering:
- An accepting and welcoming environment to all people
- Refreshing, moving, and joyful worship with open Communion
- Programs to nurture faith development
- Focused and coordinated outreach/service opportunities
- A variety of fellowship activities for all ages
An Open Table… The Lord’s Supper, or Communion, is celebrated weekly as the central act of worship. The Table is open to all who believe in Jesus Christ.
Freedom of Belief… Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: confession of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit, study and prayer; and they are expected to extend that freedom to others.
Baptism by Immersion… In baptism the old self-centered life is set aside, and a new life of trust in God begins. Although Disciples most commonly practice baptism by immersion, other baptism practices are honored.
The Given Unity of the Church… By God’s grace and love made known in Jesus Christ, all are called to be one in Christ and to seek opportunities for common witness and service.
The Priesthood of All Believers… Both professional ministers and lay persons share in the leadership of the church in the up-building of its life in worship, service, and spiritual growth.
A Passion for Justice… Disciples affirm our need to be a pro-reconciliation/anti-racist church as we work with ecumenical and global partners to heal the brokenness of the body of Christ and the human community.